Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2010 09:54:15 -0400
From: Dan Rosenberg <drosenberg@...curity.com>
To: Henri Salo <henri@...v.fi>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, bugtraq@...urityfocus.com
Subject: Re: FuzzDiff tool

Henri,

> You have temporary file vulnerability in FuzzDiff
> (5b6b5c6c22c1103b4169b9fe6e7bfbc3
> c0ce0235f8f0026988c60a3217233c36d829ecdf). Maybe you want to use
> this module: http://docs.python.org/library/tempfile.html

This is a good example of the difference between a quick and dirty
script for accomplishing a simple task and a piece of production-ready
software.  FuzzDiff belongs to the first category.  I'm well aware of
what constitutes safe vs. unsafe temporary file usage, and I'll admit
that FuzzDiff does not use temporarily files safely by default.  I
would wager a guess that most homegrown scripts designed for personal
use aren't especially concerned with such things.  Seeing as there are
a number of parameters to tune in the script, I assumed that if you're
running this on a production system with multiple users (why?!?!) you
would simply change the path of the temporary file to one within your
home folder, for example.  Calling unsafe temporary file usage in a
script like this a "vulnerability" may be a bit of a stretch.  On the
other hand, it couldn't hurt to fix it, so I did.

> Please open bug-tracker for FuzzDiff and put the program under some
> version controlling software.

FuzzDiff is now hosted on Google Code at:
http://code.google.com/p/fuzzdiff/

Feel free to file bugs or feature requests there.  The temporary file
usage is fixed.  Ok, sure, if you have a world-writable /tmp directory
without a sticky bit, it may still be vulnerable.  Let's not get
nit-picky here.

Thanks,
Dan