Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 21:35:47 +0200
From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429@...il.com>
To: YGN Ethical Hacker Group <lists@...g.net>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: phpMyAdmin 3.3.5 / 2.11.10 <= Cross Site
 Scripting (XSS) Vulnerability

After looking into several sources, I've found the following:

6. IMPACT

Attackers can compromise currently logged-in user session and inject
arbitrary SQL statements (CREATE,INSERT,UPDATE,DELETE)
via crafted XSS payloads.

Which I presume means it affects the system only with a registered (and a
logged in) account.

I don't mean to boss you or anyone around, but why wasn't that detail well
written around?
Surely I won't risk wasting time fixing a possible bad patch when it doesn't
affect my install in the least (since it's only me that is using
phpMyAdmin).

I'm usually quite paranoid about security, but I don't  want to risk wasting
unnecessary time espeially considering it doesn't affect my security at all.

I'm not trying to nitpick or anything, but if I were you, I'd make it a
point to make the real impact well known, unless the vulnerabilities have
been published in the interest of  popularity rather than true concern.

Cheers,
Christian Sciberras.

Content of type "text/html" skipped