Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 11:48:56 -0400
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: DLL hijacking with Autorun on a USB drive

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010 16:54:09 +0200, Christian Sciberras said:
> Valdis, that last statement of yours really didn't make any sense:
>
> > (And remember what people said about the *first* release of UAC in the beta? A
> > *lot* of people said it sucked hard enough to make them seriously consider
> > moving to Linux...
>
> Without getting into any difference between Windows and Linux, myself,
> from a user perspective, would definitely prefer a UAC prompt than a
> File Manager which silently refuses to copy some files due to
> permissions.

The point was that the *beta* UAC was prompting *all the frikking time*, and a
lot of stuff it wouldn't allow, prompt or no prompt, so you'd have to log out
entirely and log in as Administrator.  It made people say "Geez, if it's going
to be *this* painful, I may as well move to Ubuntu and get anally raped with
one species of cactus for free, rather than paying Microsoft for a different
species of cactus".

No, UAC did *not* make Windows act just like Linux. It just made it painful enough
that other alternatives started looking reeeeaaal good.