Date: Wed, 1 Sep 2010 23:10:42 +0200
From: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429@...il.com>
To: matt <matt@...ackvector.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: DLL hijacking with Autorun on a USB drive

No one is saying there's no threat. It's the way people are going
about it that is doing the difference.

Patching the "vulnerable" application won't fix this whole issue.
Removing the feature from Windows core will, surely break a lot of programs.

Truth is, that dll shouldn't have been in that network share in the first place.
And that's the whole difference between Unix-like and Windows.
Once something gets into Windows, by design, you are allowing a great
deal of access.
Ok, as of late they did strides in securing this area, but it wasn't
designed this way.

The focus should be on keeping that darn dll out of your trusted zone,
not what to do with it when it is inside.

As the saying goes, prevention is better than cure.

Cheers,
Chris.