Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2010 21:05:59 +0300
From: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>
To: "Juha-Matti Laurio" <juha-matti.laurio@...ti.fi>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: DLL Hijacking vulnerability in Opera

Hello Juha-Matti!

Thanks for mentioning about exploit of Nicolas Krassas for Opera.

I don't read such sites as exploit-db.com and secunia.com, but I read other
sites, such as securityvulns.ru (securityvulns.com). And at his
site (http://securityvulns.com/news/Microsoft/Windows/DLLHijacking.html)
3APA3A didn't mentioned about such vulnerability in Opera, but mentioned
about many other vulnerabilities, including in such browsers as Firefox,
Maxthon and QtWeb. It looks like he didn't see it (he's checking Bugtraq and
Full-Disclosure) or forgot to mentioned about it (and I waited a lot of
time, after first mentioning about DLL Hijacking, before I conducted my own
research of DLL Hijacking vulnerabilities in different browsers, to gave him
time to publish such exploit if there is such one).

So I was thinking that people forgot to check DLL Hijacking in Opera, so I
reminded about that it was also vulnerable. Besides Opera released update
only at 09.09.2010 (so for long time not showing that they were aware about
it) and they didn't mention in their official advisory about anyone who
informed them about this hole. I.e. they made a look that they found the
hole by themselves.

But there is large difference between my research and Nicolas' research. If
you'll attentively read, you'll find that besides first attack vector,
mentioned in first information about DLL Hijacking (and in many advisories
on this topic which were released later), I wrote about second attack
vector. And also I mentioned about version of Opera where developers
officially fixed the hole and the methods of bypass of this fix.

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site
http://websecurity.com.ua