Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 12:55:17 +1300
From: Roberto Suggi Liverani <roberto.suggi@...urity-assessment.com>
To: Chris Evans <scarybeasts@...il.com>
Cc: Billy Rios <billy.rios@...il.com>,
	full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Security-Assessment.com Advisory: Oracle JRE
 - java.net.URLConnection class - Same-of-Origin (SOP) Policy Bypass

Hi Chris, Billy and Michal,

The Host: headers and the ability to perform non-standard HTTP request
is a separate issue from what I reported to Oracle on SOP bypass.

I have only done some research on a XSRF attack involving use of a Java
Applet with two multiple Host: headers matching the same domain.

More details here:
http://www.security-assessment.com/files/whitepapers/Leveraging_XSRF_with_Apache_Web_Server_Compatibility_with_older_browser_feature_and_Java_Applet.pdf

The above attack seems effectively mitigated by the latest JRE patch.

However, I don't think this was patched in response of my bug report on
Java JRE SOP bypass ;-)

Also, I did share the above research only with Apache Security Team. Not
sure if this leaked or someone else separately reported the fact of
having Java Applet to control Host: headers in the HTTP request as a bug.

At the link below, several people have been thanked in the credit
statement from Oracle, but not all details of the bugs have been shared
publicly yet.

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/topics/security/javacpuoct2010-176258.html

Regarding my testing, here are some details.

In my test environment, www.badsite.com and www.targetsite.net resolve
to the same IP address.

After loading the MaliciousJavaApplet from www.badsiste.com which makes
a request with two Host: headers matching the same domain (in this case
www.targetsite.net) to www.targetsite.net,
the Java Applet makes the browser perform the following request:

GET /private/secret.html HTTP/1.1
accept-encoding: gzip
Cache-Control: no-cache
Pragma: no-cache
Host: www.targetsite.net
Accept: text/html, image/gif, image/jpeg, *; q=.2, */*; q=.2
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
If-Modified-Since: Sat, 24 Jul 2010 12:08:48 GMT
Cookie: aa=aa

This was tested with Firefox 3.5.8 in Windows XP SP3 and the latest JRE
version.

With the previous JRE version, the HTTP GET request was the following:

GET /private/secret.html HTTP/1.1
Host: www.targetsite.net
Host: www.targetsite.net
Accept: text/html, image/gif, image/jpeg, *; q=.2, */*; q=.2
Proxy-Connection: keep-alive
Cookie: aa=aa

The two Host: headers were included in the request.

To be honest, I haven't spent much time on looking how to perform
malformed HTTP requests with Java Applet as my original focus was on SOP
bypass and leaking sensitive data.
Not sure either what is the impact of the latest JRE patch on other
aspects that Billy raise such as file extension, content-type, or
content-disposition. This definitely needs more time for an
accurate review.

At this stage I can only say that the attack described in my paper is
indeed mitigated by the latest JRE patch.

Cheers,

Roberto

Roberto Suggi Liverani
Senior Security Consultant