Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2010 15:01:03 +0100
From: Mario Vilas <mvilas@...il.com>
To: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Cc: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Evilgrade 2.0 - the update explotation
 framework is back

It would indeed be vulnerable to that, and you're also right about this
attack vector being quite small.

But IMHO an updates mechanism that signs it's packages it quite easy to
implement, so we're talking about getting a tangible benefit from a small
effort. Preventing the signing key from being stolen is a different matter
entirely - it has to do with the vendor's own network infrastructure
security. Unsigned updates, on the other hand, rely on the client network's
security, which cannot be controlled by the vendor.

In other words, a signed updates mechanism is clearly more secure than an
unsigned updates mechanism, even if none of both can be 100% secure, and it
comes at very little cost. Also, there's no such thing as a 100% secure
system. :)

BTW, I don't think the programmers of each application should be developing
their own signature code. Never code your own crypto, just use what's
available. Also, I believe the operating system should provide the
mechanism, not the application.

--
HONEY: I want to… put some powder on my nose.
GEORGE: Martha, won’t you show her where we keep the euphemism?

Content of type "text/html" skipped