Date: Wed, 17 Nov 2010 04:14:08 -0600
From: Andrew Auernheimer <gluttony@...il.com>
To: "Vartan, Lee (USANJ)" <Lee.Vartan@...oj.gov>
Cc: "Helft, Miguel" <helft@...imes.com>, "Heussner,
	Ki Mae" <Ki.Mae.Heussner@....com>,
	Elinor Mills <elinor.mills@....com>, "Dowell,
	Andrew" <Andrew.Dowell@...jones.com>,
	Henri Paget <henri.paget@...emsn.com.au>,
	dan.goodin@...register.com, Taylor Buley <taylorbuley@...il.com>,
	"Long, Joe" <JDL@...news.com>, "Kittlitz, Alard von" <A.Kittlitz@....de>,
	Anthony Stewart <Stewart.Anthony@....net.au>,
	Gabriella Coleman <biella@....edu>, "Goldman,
	David" <David.Goldman@...ner.com>, beschizza@...il.com,
	Steve Ragan <security@...techherald.com>,
	Jesse Emspak <j.emspak@...imes.com>, "Nalepa,
	Nicole" <NalepaN@...news.com>, "Robertson,
	Jordan" <JRobertson@...org>, alexp@...herboard.tv, Meseberg.K@....de,
	Full Disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	danielkennedy74@...il.com, Dan Kaplan <Dan.Kaplan@...marketmedia.com>,
	Candace Hom <Candace_Hom@...org>
Subject: Open Letter to Lee Vartan,
 Assistant United States Attorney in regards to the Goatse Security
 iPad case.

Howdy Lee,

I was originally outraged by your recent acts towards persecuting me and my
associates and extremely shaken up due to an unjust search which is based
upon multiple violations of the Fourth amendment. I believe that this
outrage, the emotional stress of being placed in solitary confinement for
multiple days without cause and previous harassment by the government lead
me to treat you less respectfully than I should, but as I was at the law
library (where I usually go for ethical guidance) I started reading some
Thomas Paine and experienced a revelation in how I should best proceed in
dealing with you and your actions.

* “He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.*” - Thomas Paine, Dissertation on First Principles of
Government

I’m writing you to help clarify this situation we continue to find ourselves
in. It appears that despite the obvious facts regarding the case you
continue to attempt prosecution on me. While information security experts
world wide (many of whom your department hire as expert witnesses), average
citizens, law analysis groups and consumer affairs groups continue to
support me; you seem to still be investigating me for some sort of criminal
act.

While I am sure that you are probably under a lot of pressure to produce
something, given that you obtained a secret quasi-legal warrant, have a
large amount of negative publicity on your office and name, and a growing
number of people asking why you are doing this. I’m sure that this pressure
is beginning to wear on your personal and professional relationships, and as
I am and always have been a supporter of the United States Government, I’d
like to offer some friendly advice before irreparable damages from your
actions spread to the rest of the Department of Justice.

There are a few options available to you at this point:

1. *Continue holding Grand Jury sessions and force an indictment.* I can in
no way advise this as it will cause harm to your professional reputation,
and force the Department of Justice towards a path of manufacturing
evidence. Social responsibility has always been at the core of everything we
do at Goatse Security, and this will be extraordinarily obvious at a trial.
Goatse has done large amounts of documented work in the areas of fighting
havens for pedophiles worldwide, protecting US infrastructure, and keeping
US citizens safe from Russian and Chinese organized crime. The DoJ has also
done this, and quite well at times, but we should work together for a common
goal, instead of fighting each other, and wasting our fiscal and legal
resources. We do not have a large advertising budget like the DoJ and FBI
have, and our publicity comes from citizen recognition of national
stewardship. I hope that you don’t see this as competition to your own great
work in the area, but we believe that we could both do better.

2. *Stop this investigation.* Given the vulnerable position you’ve placed
the DoJ in with these actions, you may be required to resign. I am very
sorry that this is the position you find yourself in, but there are many
great opportunities available for you in the private sector, and just
because you are not getting paid by the government does not mean that you
will not be able to help make the country a better, safer and healthier
place for us all to enjoy. We do volunteer work daily, and accomplish this
in our free time funded by our private sector work. We find this the most
kind healthy form of patriotism, as it not only allows one to help in areas
freely, but minimizes bureaucratic costs which we are all bear as brothers
and sisters in this great nation.

3. *Publicly accept assistance from Goatse Security.* While the smear
campaign your agency has launched against this group and me personally may
make this difficult, I’m sure that fully disclosing the rationale for it
would grant you and the DoJ forgiveness from the public, as well as from
myself. As always, we are more then happy to work with you hand in hand
towards a better country. If you are unable to do this for political
reasons, we understand, but we would not want you to dishonor your family
(probably the people who put you through law school) by making choices which
are wrong but popular. AT&T needs to be held accountable for their insecure
infrastructure as a public utility and we must defend the rights of
consumers, over the rights of shareholders.

I pray for you Lee. I pray for you to see wisdom in your actions, and pray
for you to be guided towards righteousness. I advise you to discuss this
matter with your family, your friends, victims of crimes you have
prosecuted, and your teachers for they are the people who would have been
harmed had AT&T been allowed to silently bury their negligent endangerment
of United States infrastructure.

Hugs and Courage To You,

Andrew

Content of type "text/html" skipped