Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2010 01:30:17 -0600
From: Andrew Auernheimer <gluttony@...il.com>
To: R S <fifteenfourtyone@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Open Letter to Lee Vartan,
 Assistant United States Attorney in regards to the Goatse Security
 iPad case.

"The reality is that you are inconsequential to security because you
are a script kiddie."

Perhaps you are confused as to what this term means. Script kiddies
are people who do not produce innovation of their own, and solely run
things downloaded from Packetstorm. I have repeatedly stood up and
done unique things to advance my nation, not just in information
security but in an interdisciplinary manner. As far as my
accomplishments in information security, I recently watched one of
Samy Kamkar's presentations at Blackhat that cites our group
repeatedly. One of our advisories is mentioned in his slides:
http://i.imgur.com/YIl9I.jpg
and he also states that cross-protocol scripting was "made big" by us.

What about Robert Hansen/RSnake? He said "I don’t see anyone outside
of a handful of people, like Weev, Wade Alcorn, Samy Kumkar, Aaron
Weaver and myself doing this kind of research. There’s literally
thousands of potentially exploitable services out there!" --
http://ha.ckers.org/blog/20100329/safari-integer-overflow-aids-inter-protocol-exploitation/

RSnake is well respected in the security community. Does he suddenly
not know what he's talking about just for recognizing the validity of
my research? I have stacks of internal government memos highlighting
the implications of stuff we've outlined-- clearly a number of people
think the things that we're doing are notable and have real world
implications.

I do not post on this list looking for sympathy-- quite the opposite.
Unlike you, I believe in free speech, and even want to give my deepest
critics a chance to hop into the dialogue.
Finally, your profession deserves to be cheapened. I've actually
attempted to innovate, and who are you? Oh yeah, you're some dude that
hits a button on Core Impact for a living. There are a number of
amazing individuals in the information security community doing great
things, but for every one of them there's a hundred snake-oil peddling
losers who are the real scriptkiddies. Though dated, the PHC
production of the same name rings true for individuals such as
yourself. Maybe you should read it and it'll challenge you to actually
do something useful instead of tossing ad hominems on a mailing list:
http://antisec.wordpress.com/2005/12/18/hack4txt-a-phc-production-the-real-scriptkiddies/