Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2010 17:38:42 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
To: Dan Kaminsky <dan@...para.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: verizon vs m$

Dan, as you well know, I'm intimately familiar with this body of research.  You also know I've done more than just "read" it.  Objects shared between LI and HI are architectural requirements. You and other security professionals know this, and you know that PM was obviously not designed as a boundary, but rather a risk mitigation control.  I don't understand why you are continuing to discuss security boundaries - again, that has nothing to do with the article.  Code run within the Intranet zone does not "bypass" PM by default because PM isn't enabled by default.  Now, if one wants to enable it, then just click the box.  When this is done, it mitigates risks as it was designed to, plain and simple.  Are you really worried about the fact that squatting on a kernel object might allow one to subsequently run a process from a trusted object?  I think time would be far better served by preventing the attacker from running code on your box that gives them access to kernel objects in the first place, don't you?

Please stay on track with what the issue is as presented.  Driving the "not a boundary" bus through PM routes has all the stops it was scheduled to have.   The simple question was, what value is there in detailing a process by which an attacker can gain access to shared objects between access layers when a dependency exists for higher privileged code to be run before hand?  The required privilege of the initial code to execute is already at a level greater than the privilege that the vector could expose in the first place.  If someone controls a country, then the borders between states don't matter.

Is this not obvious to all those concerned?