Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2010 20:20:53 +0000
From: mrx <mrx@...pergander.org.uk>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Firefox Addon: KeyScrambler

On 09/12/2010 19:33, Elazar Broad wrote:
> Just lightly scratching the surface, KeyScrambler.sys is signed by
> GlobalSign, strings reveals nothing interesting other than OpenSSL
> 0.9.8a is used.
>
> elazar

Yes I noticed the RSA source code references in the disassembly.

Now I am curious if this implementation of OpenSSL is vulnerable to the various CVE's that have been issued against 0.9.8a.

CVE 2007-4995:Off-by one error in DTLS vulnerability
CVE 2007-5135:One byte buffer overflow in the SSL_get_shared_ciphers function
CVE 2007-3108:BN_from_montgomery side-channel attack.

And how it could be exploited if this is the case. I am not skilled enough to know.
However, if I was developing this software I would update it.

Cheers
Dave

> On Thu, 09 Dec 2010 09:26:49 -0500 Gary Baribault
> <gary@...ibault.net> wrote:
>> Call me paranoid, but that sure would be a good way to spread a
>> key logger!
>
>> Gary B
>

>> On 12/09/2010 07:25 AM, Christian Sciberras wrote:
>>> Dave,
>>>
>>> That's ok. Glad to have helped out :)
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Chris.
>>>

>>> On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 1:07 PM, mrx <mrx@...pergander.org.uk
>> <mailto:mrx@...pergander.org.uk>> wrote:

>> virtualbox
>>> XP32(SP3)
>> behaviour,

>> zip) and
>> find

>>> I extracted the files (various .js files and an exe) from the
>> xpi.
>>> The .js files version check and create an instance of
>> keyscrambler.sys
>>> with the current firefox window passed to it as an argument.
>>>
>>> I also extracted the contents of the executable; setup.exe.
>>> Setup.exe contained various dll's and one sys file. I presumed
>> this
>>> sys file; keyscrambler.sys, is the driver and main component of
>> this
>>> addon.
>>> To confirm I monitored the running of setup.exe.
>>>
>>> My preumption was correct keyscrambler.sys is installed in
>> system32
>>> folder and is registered as an autostarting service, although it
>> is hidden
>>> from the services pane in computer management.
>>>
>>> This is where my "skills" bottom out. ASM is something I have
>> not yet
>>> got my head around.
>>> I have a clue, but that's about all I do have... in time ;-)

> [...]

- --
Mankind's systems are white sticks tapping walls.
Thanks Roy
http://www.propergander.org.uk