Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2010 19:20:25 -0800
From: Mike Hale <eyeronic.design@...il.com>
To: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>,
	"StenoPlasma@...loitdevelopment.com" <StenoPlasma@...loitdevelopment.com>
Subject: Re: Flaw in Microsoft Domain Account Caching
 Allows Local Workstation Admins to Temporarily Escalate Privileges and
 Login as Cached Domain Admin Accounts (2010-M$-002)

"In fact, I can just make the Domain Admin a "guest" on my workstation
if I want to and there is nothing they can do about it."
With the caveat that they can readd themselves using GP anytime they
want...but you know.  I just wanted to throw that out there.

I think the key vulnerability in this is the non-repudiation one the
OP mentioned.  Being able to run stuff under the domain admin's
account is something a rogue user could potential abuse.

I don't think this issue is particularly critical, but something a
good admin should be aware of, IMO.

On Thu, Dec 9, 2010 at 7:07 PM, Thor (Hammer of God)
<thor@...merofgod.com> wrote:
> What do you mean by "regular local administrator"?  You're a local admin, or you're not.  There are not degrees of local admin.  Why are you under the impression that there are things on a local system that the local admin should not have access to?  They can do anything they want to by design.  Are you under the impression that the Domain Administrator has different permissions on a local machine than the local administrator does?   The only reason a Domain Admin has admin rights by default on a domain workstation is because they simply belong to the local Administrators group.  If I, as a local admin, remove the domain admin account from my local Administrators group, then they will not be local admins.  In fact, I can just make the Domain Admin a "guest" on my workstation if I want to and there is nothing they can do about it.
>
> Sorry to be the bearer of bad news for you, but the local admin can do what they want to by design, and there is nothing that was "not intended by the software developer" here.  This is, of course, why the people at MSFT dismissed it as noted.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0