Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2010 11:11:54 -0500
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: Levente Peres <sheridan@...sz.org>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Possible issues with encrypted Linux
	filesystems?

On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 9:16 AM, Levente Peres <sheridan@...sz.org> wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Yesterday I had a very interesting conversation with Anthony G. Basile,
> Ph. D. of D'Youville College about filesystem security. We thought that
> we should continue this discussion here, so we could all contemplate on
> the possibility of such a thing being possible.
>
> After reading Anthony's article, which you may find here...
>
> http://opensource.dyc.edu/random-vs-encrypted

I'm aware of a couple of papers which might interest you. First is
"TKS1 – An anti-forensic, two level, and iterated key setup scheme" by
 Clemens Fruhwirth. Second is "AES-CBC + Elephant Diffuser, A Disk
Encryption Algorithm for Windows Vista" by Niels Ferguson.

Fruhwirth's paper relates to LUKS, while Ferguson's paper relates to
BitLocker. Both papers discuss threats and design decisions. Keep in
mind both papers were released well before XTS and other tweakable
modes.

I'm not well read on LUKS, dmcrypt, cryptsetup, etc. From my 10,000
foot view, the papers are similar in that they attempt to solve the
same problem in slightly different problem domains.

Jeff