Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 12:26:44 +0300
From: Владимир Воронцов
	<vladimir.vorontsov@...ec.ru>
To: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429@...il.com>
Cc: Full disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Oddities of PHP file access in Windows (R).
 Cheat-sheet [maybe 0day]

Hello Chris,

This article is written in order to emphasize the need to verify your user
information, such as file names.
Unfortunately, in our practice (mainly in Russia) of study of web
applications, such meets are not always.

I am very glad that all your applications are well protected!

But also keep in mind that the vulnerability much more than meets the eye

On Wed, 12 Jan 2011 10:11:08 +0100, Christian Sciberras
<uuf6429@...il.com>
wrote:
> Yay, another PHP bashing paper. *cool*
>
> Sarcasm aside, this is all the more reason why one should
validate/filter
> user input.
> The paper's details are new to me, however, as a web developer I can
> confidently say that my filename-management-related routines are
completely
> safe against this attack.
> Why? Because special characters such as those mentioned in the paper
(which
> by the way, aren't valid filename characters), are replaced be a legal
and
> safe alternative (such as a dash or underscore).
>
> We can blame PHP's magic. Then again you can blame C and C++'s pointer
> magic
> is the biggest security bug ever.
>
> Or you can blame the human factor behind the end, defective, product.
>
> Either-case, interesting study. My only complaint? Keep uninformed
opinion
> to yourself next time though, it only dirties you arguments.
>
> Cheers,
> Chris.
>

> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 9:59 AM, Владимир Воронцов <
> vladimir.vorontsov@...ec.ru> wrote:
>
>> Hello Full-Disclosure!
>>
>> Abstract
>> Notorious web development language, PHP, is under constant watch of the
>> hackers, security
>> researchers and other persons who just love to tinker around some
stuff.
>> Numerous vulnerabilities and
>> bugs of PHP interpreter regularly highlights bug-tracks, wakes up
>> administrators and burdens the minds
>> of web site owners. And we never can know what nifty tricks PHP
>> interpreter had reserved for our next
>> day. In this paper we will describe details about how PHP treats file
>> names on Windows operating
>> systems, regarding the presence of different fuzzy characters
>>
>> Original English article: http://onsec.ru/onsec.whitepaper-02.eng.pdf
>>
>> --
>> Best regards,
>> Vladimir Vorontsov