Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2011 13:51:08 +0000
From: Jacqui Caren-home <jacqui.caren@...world.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Fwd: Re "getting off the patch"

On 15/01/2011 01:53, Glenn Everhart wrote:

> If you have a system that is built well secured in the first place (existence proof: VMS)
> then patches are comparatively rare.

This is a joke right?

When I first used VMS there was a bug that when a directory was deleted all files within the
directory were lost - the only way until the fix to recover the lost blocks was to reformat the drives.

Also a very good friend of mine (with me watching) use the $MAIL hack to get SYS$ADMIN privs.
We when added csr-up's in the system logs to hide evidence of our access - when viewed on a CRT.
My friend eventually got kicked of the VMS systems for two weeks for this :-(

FYI the very early Windows NT NTFS filesystem had the same/similar delete problem as that early
VMS release...

Later when I worked at Cray some I worked with who used to work for DEC would explain how as
a non drinker his job of a friday afternoon was to get back from the pub lunch before everyone
else as write protect the developer disk packs...

VMS was just as bug ridden and badly designed as many other systems in the early releases.

Jacqui

p.s. my fave hackable system was VULCAN - replace ma.e and you ended up with a lot of files
hidden from sysadmins :-)