Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:17:52 +0000
From: "Cal Leeming [Simplicity Media Ltd]"
	<cal.leeming@...plicitymedialtd.co.uk>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: (off topic) windows + debian + WinSCP + chroot'd
 shell + timestamp + SCP + SFTP + keep remote directory up to date

*Before I start, this is totally NOT the right list for this discussion, but
I needed somewhere popular that would be indexed by Google, so anyone else
with the same problem won't go through the same two hours of bullshit I just
did. Anyone who bitches at me about this shall be declared king of the rank
"asshattery".*

WinSCP comes with this neat little feature called "Keep remote directory up
to date", and it worked for every server I used apart from one. It was
uploading all the files over and over again, even if only one of them had
changed.  At first I thought, maybe it was because of timestamp
configurations and version changes (i tried mixing dst / local conventions
preserve / non preserve etc), all with no success.

Then I realised, that the connection was falling back onto SCP silently,
rather than using SFTP. This was causing the feature to break.

If anyone else experiences this same issue, make sure to untick "Allow SCP
fallback", select SFTP as the file protocol, and if it throws an error, then
make sure SFTP is installed / configured correctly on the server.

Much love x x

Cal

Content of type "text/html" skipped