Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 14:31:38 -0500
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To: Emmanuel Apreko <eapreko@...il.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Path to IT Security

On Tue, 18 Jan 2011 16:10:48 GMT, Emmanuel Apreko said:
> After researching i found out that the most prestigious security certification
> is the CISSP and it seems like a very long journey to it since i have no
> experience in it at all but need to get my foot in.

Since the CISSP requires 4 or 5 years of practical experience, those positions
will (or at least should be) written for experienced people.  What you will
probably have to do is look for positions tagged "entry level".  Find one of
those positions, find a mentor, and start learning as much as you can on the
job.  I know a number of people who took a job as an entry-level sysadmin, and
made sure they were visible when positions opened up in the security office.
I've known web developers who appointed themselves the security auditor for web
development projects (checking for SQL injection, XSS, and all the other
well-known issues that are important to check for but nobody else will
volunteer to audit for), and then leveraged that into a full-blown security
role. You may want to look at taking a sysadmin job at a smaller company, or
maybe a small college, that doesn't even *have* a security office yet - and
*create* it.  Plenty of options out there, but most of them requires some
creative thinking to find.