Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2011 00:39:05 -0500
From: Steve Pinkham <steve.pinkham@...il.com>
To: Mario Vilas <mvilas@...il.com>, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	Juan Sacco <juansacco@...il.com>
Subject: Re: Insect Pro 2.1 : New version release

On 03/08/2011 06:55 PM, Mario Vilas wrote:
> It seems to be a different version.
>
> IMHO if I have to pay to download it then it's not really free. Insect
> should follow the same donation policy as any open source project -
> download should be free and donation should be optional. This is
> probably a non-issue anyway but I feel the word "free" shouldn't be used
> in this context, at least I find it misleading...

I'm hosting that version, and yeah, it is the previous release.
Last announcement (around 25 Jan. 2011) Jaun and I had it out on the
list about whether it was "free" (freely redistributable) or not, and he
let me distribute it. Now he seems to have changed his mind as my
download key no longer works and he's ignored my emails about it.  Also
he has removed the "free" wording from his website and mentions that you
are paying for a license in his announcement.

>  Also, anyone that has not yet donate to get a license may do it now and
>  obtain a free version of the new stealth keylogger!

Note the "free" wording only seems to apply to the keylogger, which you
get by paying for a license for Insect Pro.

So if you want to evaluate Insect Pro for free, try the 2.0 version from
my site. http://insectpro.highprofilesite.com/

If you want to invest in learning tools you can be sure will be around
and improving in the long term, try using msfconsole or armitage
instead. This is a good guide to Metasploit on Backtrack 4r2, linking to
the armitage setup portion:
http://www.offensive-security.com/metasploit-unleashed/Armitage_Setup .
 As the Metasploit Unleashed site suggests, if you enjoy the site and
want to make a donation to a worthy cause, Hackers for Charity is a
great one.

Good luck Juan. I had hoped there would be a different ending to this
story, but as long as your statements and actions match up you'll get no
quarrel from me.  I hope your license sales work out well for you, and
the offer of hosting for free downloads is still open if you want to
take advantage of it.
--
 | Steven Pinkham, Security Consultant    |
 | http://www.mavensecurity.com           |

Download attachment "smime.p7s" of type "application/pkcs7-signature" (6034 bytes)