Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2011 09:29:44 +0100
From: Honza Horak <hhorak@...hat.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Mutt: failure to check server certificate in
 SMTP TLS connection

> It also turns out that I didn't test this issue enough. As I didn't
> test with both gnutls and openssl. I only tested with gnutls. Mutt
> actually works as I would expect with imaps, smtps and smtp -- with
> starttls connection when using openssl. mutt appears to  be _broken_
> when using gnutls for imaps, smtps and smtp -- with starttls. (on mutt 1.5.20).

Hi,

I've tested this behaviour using both - gnutls and openssl - and it
seems like the only difference is that there is an error printed using
openssl: "Certificate host check failed: certificate owner does not
match hostname imap.myhost.web".

In both cases a user can accept the certificate, but there is no warning
about certificate's hostname mishmash using gnutls, which is a
vulnerability.

I just wanted to sum up the issue, do I understand it correctly?

Honza

<javascript:void(0);>

Content of type "text/html" skipped