Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:12:37 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
To: Ryan Sears <rdsears@....edu>, "noloader@...il.com" <noloader@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Vulnerabilities in *McAfee.com

Well, I think there is a flip side to this, and that is the fact that no one is asking these people to inspect their sites for vulnerabilities.   They are taking it upon themselves to scan the sites actively looking for vulnerabilities for the sole purpose of exposing them.  They may say that they are doing it "to ensure that the vendors fix their problems" but it's not really any of their business to do so.

I think someone would be hard pressed to justify (defend) their actions when they basically "attack" a site that they don't own, without permission, with the express intent of finding a vulnerability.  That's the difference between a "test" and an "attack."   It doesn't matter how trivial their finds are, or what the outcome of the scan is, it is the fact that no one asked, nor wants them to do this.

Technically, what they are doing is in fact illegal - in the US anyway.   So there is another aspect of this that deserves some discussion, I think.