Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2011 18:15:50 -0400 (EDT)
From: Ryan Sears <rdsears@....edu>
To: noloader@...il.com
Cc: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Vulnerabilities in *McAfee.com

Agreed, If you put your site on the open internet, you have to take into account the inherent hostilities that go along with that action.

A security firm like Mcafee /knows/ about these vulnerabilities. Guaranteed. If they offer services to make other's sites 'hacker proof', their first order of business should make sure that their infrastructure doesn't have blatantly obvious security holes. I'm not saying that they should catch EVERYTHING, but these are bugs that an automated scanner could easily pick up. I do understand that  a large infrastructure like theirs has pages that have been created by people with varying degrees of competence, but that's why they need to do inclusive penetration tests of their own network. At the very least they need to have some mechanism in place to detect (and possibly defer) these sorts of attacks.

The way I see it, when a company hides behind legal threats to deter people from finding and reporting bugs, all they're doing is hurting themselves. Look at how Microsoft has turned around. 10 years ago they weren't dealing with people reporting issues in the right way, but they soon came to realize that by listening to the hackers that ARE coming forward with issues, they not only help themselves, but help the community as well. It's a win/win scenario for EVERYONE.

You can tell a vast amount about how an infrastructure is run from just a bit of poking. If there are blatant security holes everywhere, then they clearly don't take security seriously. If they filter for SQL injections in javascript, then the dev's have no clue what they're actually trying to do. If you see SQL errors, chances are there are more serious issues to boot. I usually limit my poking to the very basic of basics when I do use a new service, and the more transparent they are (think reddit) the more I trust them. They even have a full subreddit devoted to finding and learning about XSS attacks. One word, awesome.

Simply put, in my opinion you can't blame a pen-tester for looking for bugs in a site. The only time it should be considered malicious is when it's used in a malicious way. If I find a XSS in a webform, and I report it along with re-mediation suggestions I feel as though I'm doing the site a favor. It's unfortunate to think that some see this as a criminal activity.

Ryan