Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:59:35 -0700
From: mark seiden <mis@...den.com>
To: Brandon Matthews <bkmatt@...co.com>
Cc: Full Disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: iPhone Geolocation storage

yes, that's right.  on one of the forensics lists someone pointed out that he started google maps for 6 seconds
and ended up with 1253 locations in the cache, all with the same time stamp.  those would be potential known
locations in your neighborhood.

much fuller disclosure in

http://markey.house.gov/docs/applemarkeybarton7-12-10.pdf

including that the some of the location data comes from.... google.

it looks like everything gets anonymized, aggregated to 5 digit zipcodes, and max retention of 6 months, but don't
talk much about what the device does except when it uploads data.

the congressional disclosure, while it makes me feel better about location data, contains a few choice items like

Download attachment "Screen shot 2011-04-21 at 5.14.43 PM.png" of type "image/png" (44609 bytes)

it's unclear how apple can keep app developers from retaining location data.  which doesn't seem forbidden by apple, only by law.

it's also unclear why they keep really old data in the cache on the phone.  cache bloat results for little benefit.

the android doesn't do time-based pruning either and has a similar location cache with the same data it.

it appears to me that since the keying is by mac address or the tower id that there will only be one timestamped item for
each of those.  so if you go around the same neighborhood repeatedly, the same data will be in the cache.   so not exactly
tracking, just recency.

but it would seem prudent to both specify and implement the briefest retention of the location data that was possible to perform
the function expected by the user.