Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2011 23:49:16 +0300
From: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>
To: "Zach C." <fxchip@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Multiple vulnerabilities in MyBB

Hi Zach!

> So if you try to sign up with a website and it tells you the username is
> already taken, is that a login leakage vulnerability?

Yes, it is. This is one from different variations of login leakage
vulnerabilities.

In my classification of such vulnerabilities I've divided them on two types:
Information Leakage (which leads to leaking of logins) and Abuse of
Functionality (which allows login enumeration attacks. e.g. by bruteforcing
logins).

For example MyBB, as many other web applications (including almost all forum
engines), has both types of login leakage vulnerabilities. MyBB has
Information Leakage by using logins as names and showing them at different
pages of forum. And it has Abuse of Functionality in different
functionalities (such as in register and login functionalities - the most
popular places for login leakages).

Both types of login leakage vulnerabilities are widespread, especially the
second type (on those sites and engines where admins and web developers are
trying to not use logins as a names, there are often happen second type of
such holes). For enumerate logins via second type of such holes I've created
at beginning of 2008 a tool Brute force login identifier (for pentests and
security researches). And about second type of such holes I wrote in my
article Enumerating logins via Abuse of Functionality vulnerabilities.

Also draw attention, as I wrote in my second advisory about MyBB, that at
registration pages there can be different login leakages. As in form
itself, as in AJAX functionality. You can find such AJAX login checkers
(which are vulnerable to login enumeration) at many web sites, especially
large portals - from 2005, when AJAX started to rise, such functionalities
became very popular. In my news I wrote about many sites with such holes,
including Hulu, YouTube, Google and Microsoft live.com. Here is quote from
my advisory with two examples of such Abuse of Functionality holes:

http://site/xmlhttp.php?action=username_availability&value=test

http://site/xmlhttp.php?action=username_exists&value=test

When a site has Information Leakage which leaks logins of the users (like
in case of MyBB), then it's quicker to get them from different pages of the
site. If a site has no such holes, but has such Abuse of Functionality, then
it's possible to enumerate logins by bruteforcing. But when developers of
any webapp are willing to fix such holes, they need to fix all of them.

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site
http://websecurity.com.ua