Date: Wed, 4 May 2011 23:50:31 +0300
From: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>
To: "Zach C." <fxchip@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Multiple vulnerabilities in MyBB

Hi Zach!

> With services like deathbycaptcha, could CAPTCHA itself now be considered insufficient anti-automation,

Any captcha which has no vulnerabilities in code itself (such as those described by me in 2007 in my project Month of Bugs in Captchas) can't be considered as Insufficient Anti-automation by default, regardless of existence of Deathbycaptcha and other services of type Captcha Solver as a Service.

Holes in algorithms of captchas are a posteriori holes, so they are exactly IAA. And attacks via OCR or "hired" humans are a priori holes - the holes in idea itself. And they are considered by creators of captcha, at least they should be considered :-). So user of every secure (to a posteriori holes) captcha need to take into account that there are exist OCR or "hired" humans (a priori holes), which can create a problems. Which also can come from different Captcha Solver as a Service. And if such problems will appear, then there can be made improvements in captcha or used other methods of protection.

> and how would you address that?

By improving of the captcha. You could see such "hard captchas", where it's hard to see the text on it or with mathematical equation. Such captchas can create a serious problems for OCR and "hired" humans (but also can complicate process for legitimate users of the site). So it's up to every admin to decide what is more important to him - usability for users (and OCR and "hired" humans), or security of his site.

Also there can be used other methods (captcha-less) if captcha is not optimal for concrete site. Like putting some functionality into user account (to make it post-auth, but there must be no other holes, like those which I wrote about in my article Attacks on unprotected login forms (http://lists.webappsec.org/pipermail/websecurity_lists.webappsec.org/2011-April/007773.html)), using of automated anti-spam services and other methods - all of which have different nuances with usability. So it must be carefully chosen for every particular case.

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site
http://websecurity.com.ua