Date: Tue, 10 May 2011 23:51:51 +0000
From: "Thor (Hammer of God)" <thor@...merofgod.com>
To: "Dobbins, Roland" <rdobbins@...or.net>,
	"full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Sony: No firewall and no patches

I'll reply in kind combining threads, but sans insulting statements like "in the face of incomprehension."  You make grand assumptions about what you can do, and what is "trivial" as if you think all vulnerabilities automatically give you administrative access or something.   You thinking that just because you owned my web server, it is "trivial" to bypass outbound rule enforcement - this is not only assumptive, but incorrect.   Most attacks or breached do not, in fact, result in that level of access.

You apparently live and work in a world of absolutes where you assume you can send traffic to my web server and just alter the response as you see fit.  You've also apparently had a *very* different incident response history than I have.   But, at Arbor, I would also expect that you in a world very different than most and interact with a much different traffic model.  My experience is quite different, and I have personally seen too many instances to count where the use of firewalls has, without question, been what has saved a company.  But I'm glad it works for you, which is really what this conversation is about: what actually works for people.

Feel free to argue all you wish about how firewalls are ineffective and a waste, but I have empirical evidence that shows otherwise.  I'm glad your ops experience serves you, but I would never count on ACLs alone to secure my infrastructure, particularly when it requires one to have wide open outbound ACLs.  And actually, I would do both (and normally do in production networks).

So, to wrap up my input in this regard, people should use what works for them assuming they know what problems they are trying to solve and how they are solving them.   But just because people don't automatically embrace your opts processes doesn't mean we can't "comprehend" it.  It's really not rocket science you know...