Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2011 11:51:55 -0500
From: adam <adam@...sy.net>
To: nix@...roxylists.com
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: NiX API

"You're a legit user --> Why in earth you would like to use a proxy or or
anonymizer to do the purchase?"

Because you're out of state and PayPal has been *notorious *for locking
accounts accessed from *unusual* locations. That's just one example, there
are plenty more.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 11:49 AM, <nix@...roxylists.com> wrote:

> > On 09/06/2011 16:05, nix@...roxylists.com wrote:
> >> Primarily this is an advertisement.
> >>

> >> I would guess that it is some anti-hack system for webmasters who
> >> haven't
> >> a clue, a kind of auto-generating block list.
> >> I'm a noob and I am just guessing.

> > I don't see how it is possible to tell a fraudulent paypal payment from a
> > legitimate one, unless the IP address used to make the purchase is all
> > ready known as a source of fraudulent transactions.
>
> You don't see it because you have no experience. Let me enlight you a bit.
>
> You're a legit user --> Why in earth you would like to use a proxy or or
> anonymizer to do the purchase?
>
> Why I would do so and purchase unless I have something to hide? You have
> the option block or allow hosting provider ranges, of course.
>
> You are a fraudulent user --> Of course you want to use any IP that is not
> yours and not a surprise; A majority of fraudulent purchases originates
> from proxies, anonyminity networks, VPN's (commonly hosted by hosting
> providers due to fast speeds) and so on.
>
> After careful verification, we have accurately 'blacklisted' this data
> beforehand and this way our API will block the user real-time, not after
> the damage has happened unlike the others.
>

> > Obviously if "John Smith" made a payment from an IP address originating
> > from China, Japan or other non-English/American IP address range then
> > something is suspect, but this is still not definitive.
>
> This is one method how a majority of payment gateway protections add a
> 'fraud score' to the final decision whether or not to prevent the
> transaction.
>
> According to experience from my own sites, it has been 85% of times
> definitive.
>

> > How could this system stop a fraudulent payment from a source with an IP
> > address the system has never seen before originating from a corporate
> > address block or respected ISP, or unlikely but not impossible an IP
> > address that has previously made a valid transaction?
> >
> > Any smart fraudster would use a device purchased with cash using a
> spoofed
> > MAC address from a wifi hotspot out of sight of CCTV.
> >
> > Please enlighten me, or would that let the cat out of the bag?
> >
> > regards
> > mx

Content of type "text/html" skipped