Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2011 01:36:54 +0100
From: mrx <mrx@...pergander.org.uk>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Absolute Sownage (A concise history of recent
 Sony hacks)

On 11/06/2011 01:04, Nick FitzGerald wrote:
> mrx wrote,
>
>> I am a little frightened that my web app will be owned and user
>> credentials exposed.  ...
>
> Keep that attitude when you are no longer a "noob" web-app developer
> and the world will be a better place.
>
> There are far too many "hack" web coders out there, and the evidence
> suggests that Sony employs quite a few of them...
>
>> ...  I have read much on SQL injection, XSS, remote
>> execution, session hijacking etc. I only think I have all bases
>> covered, I am not 100% sure. Is there a definitive text/book/white
>> paper on such matters and if so could someone please let me know
>> where I can find this?
>
> I'm not a web-app expert at all -- I live and work in a niche
> necessitated by the appalling condition that is "web security" in
> general  (I'm a malware analyst who spends much of my time looking at
> the stuff the bad guys who break poorly configured servers, poorly
> configured and/or written web-apps, etc, etc put on those compromised
> machines to wreak havoc further down the food chain) -- but if you're a
> web-app developer and do not know about OWASP or what the OWASP "Top
> 10" is, you're probably a shockingly bad web-app developer (but
> probably well able to get plenty of work at the likes of Sony).
>

> Regards,
>
> Nick FitzGerald

Hi Nick

Yes I am on the OWASP mailing list, unfortunately the nearest branch meetings are quite a few miles away so I haven't managed to get to one yet.

I did the top 10 and hopefully with my limited experience and knowledge in this field have covered them all.

I would like someone smarter than me, which is probably most who read this list to try and hack my app.

I have done malware research too, played with reversing, captured stuff in a Honeypot, monitored flow through a Honeywall. I know a bit about a
lot of things but not a lot about any one thing in particular. I am pretty pleased with the fact that the last time I had a system infected with
malware, that I didn't infect on purpose, was my Amiga with the Saddam virus. I have always been paranoid ;-) IT isn't new to me, but IT
security is.

I need to focus but there is so much that interests me, I can't do it all but that doesn't stop me from trying.

Cheers
Dave

- --
Mankind's systems are white sticks tapping walls.