Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 21:29:20 +0300
From: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>
To: <submissions@...ketstormsecurity.org>, <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: XSS and AoF vulnerabilities in Drupal

Hello list!

I want to warn you about Cross-Site Scripting and Brute Force
vulnerabilities in Drupal.

-------------------------
Affected products:
-------------------------

Vulnerable are Drupal 6.22 and previous versions. Taking into account that
developers didn't fixed these holes, then versions 7.x also must be
vulnerable.

----------
Details:
----------

XSS (WASC-08):

At pages with forms (i.e. at comment page http://site/comment/reply/1, as
add data forms, as edit data forms), which are protected by token from CSRF,
it's possible to conduct reflected XSS attack. Even without need to know
form_token. The hole is similar to previous XSS, but in this case it's
reflected XSS (not persistent), much more forms are affected (code will
execute not only at edit forms, but also at add forms) and there is no need
to know form_token.

The attack is conducting on any forms with turned on FCKeditor/CKeditor.
Such attack can be conducted and on forms with TinyMCE - I wrote already
about such vulnerabilities in PHP-Nuke via TinyMCE
(http://packetstormsecurity.org/files/view/99162/phpnuke-iaaxss.txt).

If it's edit data form, then the attack can be conducted only on logged-in
user which is an owner of this account (who posted this comment, etc.) or on
admin of the site. And if it's add data form (i.e. comment), then it's
possible to conduct attacks on admin and any logged-in users. Attacking code
can be in parameter comment, body or other parameter depending on the form.

Exploit:

http://websecurity.com.ua/uploads/2011/Drupal%20XSS.html

Brute Force (WASC-11):

In login form in sidebar, which is placed at any external page of the site
(http://site/node), there is no reliable protection against brute force
attacks. There is no captcha in Drupal itself, and existent Captcha module
(and also all plugins for it, such as reCAPTCHA) is vulnerable, as I wrote
already (http://websecurity.com.ua/4763/). Exploit is differ from previous
BF: if in previous Brute Force vulnerability form_id equal user_login, then
in this one form_id equal user_login_block.

------------
Timeline:
------------

2010.12.11 - when I informed developers about previous multiple
vulnerabilities in Drupal, I told them briefly about these holes.
2011.04.13 - announced at my site.
2011.04.14 - informed developers.
2011.06.25 - disclosed at my site.

I mentioned about these vulnerabilities at my site
(http://websecurity.com.ua/5077/).

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site