Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 00:48:26 +0200
From: Arturo Filastò <art@...baleaks.org>
To: nix@...roxylists.com
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk, tor2web-talk@...ts.tor2web.org
Subject: Re: Tor2web 2.0 is live!

> Im involved in anonymity and privacy research and development. I've
> recently released NiX Web Proxy Script:
> http://myproxylists.com/proxy-script
>
> A fully working online demo: http://myproxylists.com/nix_web_proxy/
>
> PS. Does tor2web require custom modification before you can use a spesific
> web proxy software with the project? Im still trying to understand what's
> the point in tor2web :)

Cool!

First thing let me clarify what the goal of tor2web is. Tor Hidden
Services are usually only accessible through a Tor enabled browser, what
tor2web does allow people to visit hidden services from the normal web.

It does not claim to guarantee any sort of anonymity on the client side
(this can be achieved by using Tor) but only allow people publishing
content anonymously with Tor hidden service
(https://www.torproject.org/docs/hidden-services.html.en) to be reached
from the normal web.

I have taken a brief look at your software although I do not like the
fact that you are obfuscating your code. For a software that claims
security to be their top priority, hiding code is a very bad practice.

If you decide to release the source code of your software publicly I
will take it into consideration as a possible replacement for the
current tor2web code. However I will *never* use software whose code I
am unable to read.

Thanks for the interest in the tor2web project.

- Art.