Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2011 14:25:42 +0100
From: Darren Martyn <d.martyn.fulldisclosure@...il.com>
To: James Condron <james@...o-internet.org.uk>
Cc: secn3t@...il.com, full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk,
	Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Subject: Re: VPN provider helped track down alleged
	LulzSec member

Even Russian "bulletproof" hosts can screw you over. Heihachi were
committing massive fraud, and another hosting provider (offering hosting for
botnets) was simply stealing your bots all the time, according to what I am
told.

If one is dealing with criminals/crooks to further ones own criminal
enterprises... One should expect that ones "helpers" will screw one over.

VPN services are almost snake oil in a sense - secure from other (l)users,
but not from LEO/.mil/.gov.

On Thu, Sep 29, 2011 at 2:16 PM, James Condron
<james@...o-internet.org.uk>wrote:

> On 29 Sep 2011, at 14:04, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 29 Sep 2011 13:53:03 BST, Benji said:
> >
> >> Just because something is advertised as 'anonymous' doesnt mean it's 'so
> >> anonymous you can break the law' and anyone using a EU/US-related
> country to
> >> do this is either stupid or naive.
> >
> > There's also those servers that advertise "anonymous and likely to stay
> that
> > way because we've bought a few corrupt government officials".  But if
> you're
> > buying services from them, you''re neither stupid nor naive, and know
> *exactly*
> > why you're doing business with them....
>
> Yep, you're buying a service from someone who can then, by extension, be
> bought themselves. Theres no money in buying off officials, its coming from
> somewhere- usually the highest bidder.
>
> Sounds pretty naive to me.

Content of type "text/html" skipped