Date: Thu, 6 Oct 2011 02:34:06 -0700
From: "Zach C." <fxchip@...il.com>
To: Juan Sacco <juansacco@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: New open source Security Framework

Telling people to move their criticisms off of the (unmoderated) public
forum and into the private forum that you control (and can freely censor as
you see fit) is ridiculous.

Now, if you really did as root said and just grabbed peoples' code from
various public outlets and put it into your GPL product... *you really can't
do that*. First off, the copyright of the code does not belong to you. You
have to get permission or a separate license, *in writing*, *from the
original author of the code*. If they don't give it to you, you have to do
without or have someone cleanroom it for you (if you rewrite it yourself,
your clone is arguably contaminated by your previous exposure). And they
have to specifically authorize you to redistribute with the GPL license. If
*they've* distributed with GPL, you should be fine; if they've distributed
with nearly *any other license at all*, you have to get permission to
redistribute since most other licenses impose "additional restrictions"
which are specifically forbidden by the GPL. And if you're AT ALL unclear on
what the redistribution license for their code is, the safe choice is simply
to not redistribute. Just because someone puts their code out in public
doesn't mean you're allowed to put their code out in public as well.

As to your claim that "Exploit Pack is working without any foundation,
company, governement and money-giving guy," -- number one, you probably mean
'Venture Capitalist" when you say "money-giving guy." Number two, you seem
to be either the PR for or the head of the company that makes INSECT Pro,
correct? If INSECT Pro is your product and Exploit Pack is your *open source
* product, especially given the proximity of both tools in their field
(information security or whatever you want to call it), I would call this
claim quite a stretch, at best. You are providing some measure of similar
support for both products; how are you working to eliminate the conflict of
interest of pulling something from Exploit Pack into INSECT? Maybe I'm not
well-versed enough in your products, but I still do not believe it is
possible for you (personally!) to claim Exploit Pack as a personal pet
project when it's that close to the one you sell for money.

Content of type "text/html" skipped