Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2011 10:54:53 -0500
From: Laurelai <laurelai@...echan.org>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Search and Seizure of Email

On 10/12/2011 10:33 AM, Christian Sciberras wrote:
> Well said!
>

> On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 5:16 PM, Daniel Sichel
> <daniels@...derosatel.com <mailto:daniels@...derosatel.com>> wrote:
>
>     >In fact, law enforcement officials don?t even need a search
>     warrant to
>     >access private emails.
>
>     In point of fact, nobody does, although acquiring this access is
>     clearly
>     easier for law enforcement.
>     One of the burdens that the freedom the Internet brings, is the
>     freedom.
>     Your email is out there, typically unencrypted, available to
>     anyone who
>     can snatch the packets off the wire,
>     Any ISP employee with appropriate read rights on a mail server.
>
>     Take responsibility for your own email. Encrypt it if you must,
>     but for
>     heaven sakes, own the fact that it is publicly visible.
>
>     If we do not take responsibility for our own email and whine about
>     others reading it,  than there will HAVE to be regulations by
>     government
>     to protect us.
>     That's what government does.  That's what it is SUPPOSED to do.  So
>     before we invite Godzilla to protect our email, how about we just
>     man up
>     and take responsibility ourselves?
>
>     But that's just the idea of a bunch of dead white guys like Edmund
>     Burke, John Adams and James Madison, and what do they know?
>

>     Dan Sichel

Well there is no push to make snail-mail encrypted and lets face it most
peoples mailboxes don't have any sort of locking mechanisms and is
available to anyone with two hands and the malicious intent to steal
someones mail  however the US Gov needs a warrant to intercept your
physical mail, why does it being online somehow make it different?
Especially considering the US Postal service keeps threatening to shut
down, and this is due to the increased popularity of *email*. Why this
should be troubling is that they consider email somehow different than
physical mail when it comes to privacy rights for no really good reason,
and considering that one of the grievances we had with England in the
time of the revolutionary war was the government intercepting mail for
arbitrary reasons. This should make every American citizen's hair stand
on end.

Content of type "text/html" skipped