Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:58:14 -0500
From: Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
To: Darren Martyn <d.martyn.fulldisclosure@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Ubuntu 11.10 now unsecure by default

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 14:12:38 GMT, Darren Martyn said:

>  Valdis - I did not know the source had gotten THAT big, still, will be
> interesting to explore parts of it that interest me - the TCP stack for a
> start... Also, thanks for the advice on the book :)

As of this morning, Linus's git tree had:

[/usr/src/linux] find * -type f | xargs cat | wc -l
14993265

and we're still at 3.2.0-rc2.  Almost certainly will tip over 15M by the time Linus
lets 3.2.0 escape.  The linux-next tree (which will become 3.3) is already sitting at
somewhere north of 15.3M lines of code.  Yes, we're averaging 100K lines of code
a month.

> Network manager has one amusing flaw I noted on both Atheros and Broadcom
> chipsets - it randomly suspends the Wireless card, requiring several
> reboots to fix. I still have to figure it out, and it just annoys me in
> general. Hence, making my own version of it.

Are you sure it's NetworkManager that's hosing things up, and not the driver
itself?  "card hangs and takes a few reboots" sounds like a MadWifi issue
rather than NetworkManager - there's a *reason* MadWifi got deprecated in favor
of the ath[59]k drivers. ;)

> Also, thanks for the advice on the mac80211, I was only familiar with
> MadWiFi as my netbook for wardriving ran an older Atheros card (Acer Aspire
> One from 2008). I will look into the mac80211 as soon as I can, the goal me
> and my friends have is to release a "modified" Ubuntu with our own network
> manager and some other Wireless auditing tools installed.

That's actually a reasonable goal easily achieved by 3-5 motivated people in
their spare time.