Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 20:32:18 +0100
From: Laurent OUDOT at TEHTRI-Security <laurent.oudot-ml@...tri-security.com>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Cc: Laurent ESTIEUX - CTO at TEHTRI-Security
	<laurent.estieux-ml@...tri-security.com>
Subject: Re: [TEHTRI-Security] Ultra quick dummy PHP
 hacking challenge for FD readers

Hello,

Back to this quick dummy PHP Hacking challenge. We remind you that the
login was "adm", and the password was supposed to be "31337", when you
check at this code:

<?php if($_POST['l']=='adm'&&  $_POST['p']=='31337') { echo "Welcome"; }
else { echo "Tsss..."; } ?>

So we got answers from people claiming that there was no other solution
than using "31337" as a password, by reading this code, and that it was
quite a stupid question...

But as we said, PHP is magic, and let's have a look at some of the best
answers we got for this quick challenge, where you had to propose p=
seomthing that would also work, without being 31337:

#1 Our favorite PHP expert:
From: @i0n1c ( https://twitter.com/#!/i0n1c/status/144808482820984834 )
p=0.0000000000000000003133699999999999999900735000735000753000420042e23

#2 A nice answer that we got really quickly
From: @Tyr43l
p=+31336.9999999999999999999999999999999999999

#3 Someone who want to remain anonymous because of his "company" :)
From: ?
p=0x7a69

The passwords proposed by these people work, though it's not "31337"...
Weird ? Here are some interesting pointers in case you'd like to go
further (quick answers).

First, check this:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/language.operators.array.php

$a === $b 	Identity 	TRUE if $a and $b have the same key/value pairs in
the same order and of the same types.

$a == $b 	Equality 	TRUE if $a and $b have the same key/value pairs.

So, when we had " if(... $_POST['p']=='31337') " it meant that PHP would
not have to check that we had the same types.

That's why using Octal, Hexadecimal, etc, will also work.

And it's rare to see people looking at things like type enforcement
through PHP source code, which sometimes lead to vulnerabilities...

Also, you can read more information about Integers and PHP from here:
http://php.net/manual/en/language.types.integer.php

As promised, winners all got the music "Song 4 Hackers" on Apple Store.

We also got emails from people asking to get "Song 4 Hackers" for free.
You can listen to sample from here http://elena-laurent.zimbalam.com/

Thanks for all the emails we got from friends of Full Disclosure,

We hope you enjoyed this tiny entertainment through PHP fun,

Check your code,
Peace,

Laurent OUDOT, CEO TEHTRI-Security, from BlackHat Abu-Dhabi