Date: Mon, 30 Jan 2012 01:22:23 -0800
From: "Zach C." <fxchip@...il.com>
To: Christian Sciberras <uuf6429@...il.com>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: when did piracy/theft become expression of
	freedom

Just to be clear, what's been done in the name of intellectual property
protection is fucking ridiculous. I just do not see how getting something
someone put a non-zero value of work and materials into without even so
much as asking or being given permission from the person who made it is
somehow not even at the very least disrespectful. Even if it is "just a
reproduction", it took effort to create, and you must figure it's worth
something or you wouldn't have expended the effort to reproduce it to begin
with.

(Fair use being the main exception there, but fair use usually implies
something distinctive being done to the work, too, as opposed to minor
editing/shitty encoding. Feel free to correct!)

To be honest and realistic, nothing can ever be done to stop copying. Ever.
Nor should it. I'm just saying I consider "there's no harm in it" to be a
myth in most cases. At the core of it, I think copyright's a totally valid
thing to have, if only to stop plagiarism. Its implementation, however...

(I don't see my stance changing in the near future, either. I'm sorry, I'm
kind of rigid in that line of thought and I haven't heard or read anything
yet to adequately address everything.)

Anyway; back to lurking for me. :)

Content of type "text/html" skipped