Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 17:27:44 -0500
From: Dan Kaminsky <dan@...para.com>
To: Aidan Thornton <makosoft@...glemail.com>
Cc: Full-Disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Fun with Bitcoin,
 or how an exploit can hide in plain sight

Welcome to why BitCoin is so impressive.  You've got this app.  It's wide
open to the Internet, to the point where it opens up firewall rules if
necessary.  It's running some home grown network protocol, that ostensibly
ships little executable programs around.  It's written in C++, the
non-memory safe language you shoot your foot off with.  If you break it,
you get all the money.

Given all those anticonstraints, you're *still* left mucking around with
incredibly subtle design bugs, like my deanonymization through being the
majority of the cloud, or Microsoft's Red Balloon attack in which they
"hoard" transaction information that pays a large fee, or your (really
cool) exploit against signature checking optimization.

It's a fun bug you found, and I'm glad its fixed, but oh man is it hard to
exploit, and at the point there's a 51% attacker, the entire system has
already fallen apart (if for no other reason than the 51% attacker can
censor and even reverse arbitrary transactions by creating the longer block
chain, both by refusing to include transactions, and by assigning to
himself the initial coins others might have thought they'd mined).

Great work though!

Content of type "text/html" skipped