Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 15:39:16 +0100
From: Mario Vilas <mvilas@...il.com>
To: Andres Riancho <andres.riancho@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Patator - new multi-purpose brute-forcing tool

Indeed. It could also be very fast and not use threads at all. But IMO
it's much harder to write an efficient multithreaded program in python
than in C, at the very least you need a good understanding of the
inner workings of the python interpreter.

I find it a bit suspicious in general that a python program can
outperform a pure C program just like that. It's not impossible, but I
think I'll reserve my judgement on this until some benchmarks are
published.

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 1:36 PM, Andres Riancho
<andres.riancho@...il.com> wrote:
> Grandma,
>
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 2:52 AM, Grandma Eubanks <tborland1@...il.com> wrote:
>> Multiprocessing is quiet a bit faster than utilizing threads (this should be
>> obvious as threads are GIL locked, while multi-processing can be spread
>> amongst cores with the kernel's scheduler).
>
> That's not always true. If the process is network bound (which seems
> to be the case with a bruteforce tool), then having multiprocessing
> will not necessarily increase speed. If the software was well written,
> it can be very fast and use python threads.
>
>> On Wed, Feb 22, 2012 at 6:51 PM, Nate Theis <nttheis@...il.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> You might look into PyPy for a speed boost: http://pypy.org

> --
> Andrés Riancho
> Director of Web Security at Rapid7 LLC
> Founder at Bonsai Information Security
> Project Leader at w3af

“There's a reason we separate military and the police: one fights the
enemy of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the
military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become
the people.”