Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 10:54:47 +0100
From: Ben Laurie <ben@...ks.org>
To: Dan Kaminsky <dan@...para.com>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: DakaRand

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 10:22 AM, Dan Kaminsky <dan@...para.com> wrote:
>> > My assumption is that the other Unixes weren't looking at interrupt
>> > timing
>> > to begin with, i.e. they've always been as starved for entropy as Linux
>> > eventually became.
>>
>> Well, you know what they say about assumptions.
>

> Smart people will come around and help correct them?  :)
>

>> >  That being said, does VXWorks even *have* an OS provided
>> > strong random number generator?
>>
>> Don't know, don't care.
>

> Why not?  It carries your data.

Routers should not need strong randomness, at least the way the 'net
works now, to carry my data...

>> > Windows has CryptGenRandom, which AFAIK doesn't block, and survives
>> > everything but VM suspend/restore.
>>
>> FreeBSD also doesn't block.
>

> May I ask what FreeBSD's entropy sources are?

It depends - device drivers can add entropy. It does include interrupt
stuff, but not, by the looks of it, timing information, so I await the
results of your experiments with interest (note, btw, I didn't have
much to do with FreeBSD's /dev/random).