Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 12:38:50 -0500
From: Jerry Bell <jerry@...kologist.com>
To: Michal Zalewski <lcamtuf@...edump.cx>
Cc: Full-Disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: TTY handling when executing code in
	lower-privileged context (su, virt containers)

There are a few things to consider from my experience:

1. It's easy to say "don't use weak passwords", however unless you're using some 2 factor system or systematically forcing random passwords, people are generating the passwords, and history tells us that most people are very bad at that task.

2. Most organizations institute lockout policies for normal user accounts, so generally even a weak user password can't be guessed within 5 or 10 tries. However, root can't generally be locked out, so they are open to brute force attacks. I have first hand experience responding to incidents that resulted from root being successfully brute forced.

3. The concept of individual accountability is becoming increasingly important for many organizations. This doesn't matter much in some, particularly small, environments, but in a setting with dozens or hundreds of administrators, it is quite important. SUDO is about the only effective way of enabling large numbers of admins to operate on a system while maintaining accountability.  It is not bullet proof, but it is a quite effective solution generally.

So, I am genuinely curious - how does blocking root logins and requiring SUDO weaken a system?  I definitely have a lot to learn, and I feel like I am missing something.

Regards,

Jerry