Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:34:37 +0000
From: "Lehman, Jim" <jim.lehman@...eractivedata.com>
To: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Google's robots.txt handling

Yes I think you misunderstood or more likely I poorly worded the post. White listing is better than black listing. Black listing something you don't want googlebot to index just makes it easier for someone to find something you don't want indexed. If that content is sensitive, it probably should not be publicly accessible in the first place. But people never put sensitive content on web server (weak attempt at humor, my apologies).  I am beating the dead horse here, but robots.txt is not a security control.
Most of the time robots.txt is great for recon sense and not Amy measure of defense.

White listing just helps in not exposing too much information, a speed  bump if anything security related. I think this falls under the 'defense in depth' heading.