Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2013 17:54:54 -0500
From: Jeffrey Walton <noloader@...il.com>
To: Philip Whitehouse <philip@...uk.com>
Cc: Full-Disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Student expelled from Montreal college after
 finding vulnerability that compromised security of 250,
 000 students personal data

On Mon, Jan 21, 2013 at 5:42 PM, Philip Whitehouse <philip@...uk.com> wrote:
> Moreover, he ran it again after reporting it to see if it was still there.
> Essentially he's doing an unauthorised pen test having alerted them that
> he'd done one already.
If his personal information is in the proprietary system, I believe he
has every right to very the security of the system.

Is he allowed to "opt-out" of the system (probably not)? If not, he
has a responsibility to check.

Open question: does Canada have Security Testing and Evaluation (ST&E)
and Reverse Engoneering (ER) exemptions in its laws? Even the United
States' DMCA has them. For reference for others in the US who may be
subject to bullying (companies have tried it on me):

DMCA (PUBLIC LAW 105–304). It has exceptions for reverse engineering
and security testing and evaluation. The RE exemption is in Section
1205 (f) REVERSE ENGINEERING. The ST&E exemption is in Section 1205
(i) SECURITY TESTING.

> a class A moron.
What does that make Omnivox, which appears to have done no testing?

Jeff