Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2013 20:55:57 +0300
From: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>
To: "Julius Kivim?ki" <julius.kivimaki@...il.com>
Cc: full-disclosure <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Denial of Service in WordPress

Hi Julius!

Why do you think it will be very slowly? For last 5.5 years you the first said me concerning Looped DoS that requests will be sending very slowly. So think about it. Because all those web sites owners and all those web developers, in which web applications I've found Looped DoS vulnerabilities, after my informing fixed the holes or said that they will take it into account, but never used such argument.

The requests speed will be the next (tested on http://tinyurl.com/loopeddos1):

- In average 5.83 - 7 requests/s for looped redirect with 301/302 responses. I.e. it takes 3-3.6 seconds for Firefox to make 21 request before blocking redirect loop (and showing error message). Situation is similar in other browsers, which support blocking. Didn't examine old IE, which doesn't block infinite loops, but the speed must be the same.

- The faster will be working target web sites, the faster will be request rate.

- It's for browsers, but there are also other clients. Especially such as bots with no redirection limits. Which can work even faster.

- If the looped requests will be going inside one domain, then the speed will be faster (and it'll useful for attacking not only WordPress < 2.3, but also WP 2.3 - 3.5.2). And overload will not be splitting between two domains (like it's showing in my two examples with tinyurl.com).

- Open two or more iframes with looped redirect to the same site, to multiply the speed of attack.

- Make sufficient amount of clients (people or bots) to unknowingly participate in the attack, such as 1000 and more clients and it'll be sufficient to DoS the site on slow server.

Note that every attack is going infinitely (at using appropriate clients or at using JS or meta-refresh to prevent normal browsers from stopping endless loop), not just single request from every client. No need to think that in 2013 every web site owner has resources like Google has. There are a lot of sites on slow servers and there are a lot of sites with redirectors (and even real Looped DoS holes are rare, but with using of redirectors it's possible to create such one at any web site with redirector).

Best wishes & regards,
MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site
http://websecurity.com.ua