Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2013 20:40:22 +0300
From: "MustLive" <mustlive@...security.com.ua>
To: "Michal Zalewski" <lcamtuf@...edump.cx>
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: Denial of Service in WordPress

Hello Michal!

Yes, of course there are a lot of ways to make cross-site requests. But what
is a benefit in using Looped DoS - do you see it? Looks like don't. I'll
explain for you.

One standard request (via img and other tags in HTML, etc.) leads to single
request to target site. One request with using of Looped DoS hole (such hole
by itself or artificially created from looping two redirectors) leads to 21
requests - in case of using redirector/redirectors with server headers
(after 21st request modern browsers will stop it). And in case if there will
be old IE or "unlimited bot" or there will be used my bypass techniques
(using JS or meta-refresh at least in one from two redirectors) to bypass
browsers restriction - one request leads to infinite number of requests.
I.e. this is 21 times / infinite times more effective for attack.

And besides using of link, frame or iframe to lead to Looped DoS, it's also
possible to use other standard methods for making request. Such as img or
other tags (in this case only server headers redirectors must be used).
Which creates 21 (for modern browsers) or infinite number of requests (for
old IE) from one image. Put a lot of images on forums and other sites, which
allow img tag (via html or bbcode) to Looped DoS and there will be a lot of
requests from single visitor of that page.

> Browsers detect redirect loops to prevent accidental mishaps and
> simplify troubleshooting, not to stop malicious attacks.

Yes, you are right. But exactly this functionality to stop redirect loops
(in all modern browsers) can help mitigate such attacks. Just not all
techniques of this attack. Also remember that your company's browser Chrome
(and some other vendors too) was trying to prevent looped redirect with
using JS, but not good enough - as I showed in my Refresh DoS attack in 2008
in my project Day of bugs in browsers. So browsers vendors need to improve
their redirect loops protection.

Best wishes & regards,
Eugene Dokukin aka MustLive
Administrator of Websecurity web site