Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2013 12:25:35 -0500
From: peter_toyota <peter_toyota@...mail.com>
To: Justin Elze <formulals1@...il.com>, Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu
Cc: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Re: XKeyscore sees 'nearly EVERYTHING you do

It was CALEA, The way they told us to connect the system back then was via a separate management network. The tap data was not sent back via Snmp. Smnp was used only to activate the tap. The routers and switches had a dedicated port to siphon back the tapped data to the pc used to collect it. You could not see anything on a tcp dump with live traffic because all these commands and the resulting data  happen out of band.
 And I am not saying this is as a theory to bullshit the list and appear like I know shit. I mention this because I saw it installed back then. Who knows if in 10 years time they changed the way of tapping? Maybe now it is easier to tap a fiber like you all say, and introduce a couple tenths of db loss in the signal that a test instrument could pick up (possibly defeating the stealth nature of the tap)... ? or pull the fiber from the bottom of the seafloor and break into the cable and be able to id which fibers you want to tap, cut into that huge cable without mesing the fiber and install the tap?
I do not know, and look forward to reading about the miriad of theories in this list. At least I saw how it was done 10 years ago.