Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 13:51:15 -0500
From: Gary Baribault <gary@...ibault.net>
To: Jordon Bedwell <envygeeks@...il.com>
Cc: Full Disclosure List <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: Where are you guys standing re: the (full)
 disclosure

Hey Jordon,

    The thing is that the 'hackers' who find these bugs are not a
uniform group who all studied some course in university. Some have a lot
of experience and therefore credibility and some are less experienced
and don't know exactly what to do or when to do it. Our OP is one of
those and he was smart enough to put that question on the list. Most big
companies know that and also know what you stated. They have teams that
work bugs and work the communications with whoever found the bug. They
try to keep the person up to date on what is going on, when a fix could
be expected and let them know that they appreciate the help and
patience. As I said, many people have the experience to know when the
bug is taken seriously and that the company is really working the issue.
Unfortunately there are some hackers who don't have the experience or
patience and they just disclose, and also there is Murphy's law, some
companies drop the ball, don't communicate with the hacker or just don't
care. I won't name the maker of home/small Internet routers, but they
often just ignore bug reports and don't seem to care. There are many
others like that and in that case I agree with George, to heck with
them, warn them of the date you will publish and then go ahead and do it.

    I didn't say that ethical hackers just release. I don't have an
official definition of 'ethical'. My definition and Georges are not the
same. Probably yours and Georges aren't either. I think an 'ethical' (my
definition) hacker will bend over backwards to wait for a fix before he
publishes. In this case the OP said he found the bug because someone
used it to attack one of his customers. Obviously someone out there with
a darker hat than mine is aware of this bug. Should it be considered in
the wild? I don't think that we have enough information to make that
judgment. Obviously if it is considered widely known in the Black Hat
arena, that will affect the case, both for Microsoft and for the OP.
Sounds like it's something that would be rather hard to defend against.

Gary B