Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2014 14:52:37 +0000
From: Dan Ballance <tzewang.dorje@...il.com>
To: Źmicier Januszkiewicz <gauri@....by>
Cc: "full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk" <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Re: EE BrightBox router hacked - bares all if you
 ask nicely

Well users do care about getting hacked when it happens - so maybe they do
need to be forced to pay a little more to be secure. This also has benefits
for e-commerce and on-line banking, credit card fraud etc - so there are
definitely companies who will benefit from reduced on-line crime so maybe
the end-user wouldn't need to be paying the whole bill? The ISP themselves
should also be paying for some of this additional cost - and if it's done
across the industry then their would be no competitive disadvantage.

I work as a senior developer, salaried for a company, and I do require all
of my developers to use security best practises as they develop. So I don't
think this is necessarily naive, but again about out-sourcing vs having
good staff in-house to do the company's work. Or if a company is going to
out-source they need to use an agency with good standards and reputation to
be sure work is completed to a professional standard. So I do agree with
you it all comes down to costs and who is going to pay.

I don't have time to right a detailed dissertation, but obviously there
would be a great deal that would need defining here for it to become law -
such as what is considered a minimum security standard and how to
certify/audit the work etc. Still seems worth doing to me.

All the best,

Dan.

Content of type "text/html" skipped