Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2014 20:04:13 -0800
From: Patrick O'Keeffe <seclists-fulldisclosure@...eeffe.net>
To: full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk
Subject: Ubuntu, duckduckgo, and additional info

> On Wed, Jan 15, 2014 at 6:47 AM,  <silence_is_best at hushmail.com> wrote:
>> I see thank you.  My distribution.id nuke did nothing....any way to disable
>> this?  It's all about choice after all right ;)
>
> Settings > Manage Search Engines > Add

This won't work quite as expected. FF only hides search plugins when you
"Remove" them from the list. If you attempt to add the DDG plugin
directly from their webpage, an error message will notify you that a
plugin of that name already exists whether it's hidden or not.

The only real solution is to edit the plugin definition file (as root).
I found it under:

/usr/lib/firefox/distribution/searchplugins/locale/en-US/duckduckgo.xml

Remove this line near the bottom:

  <Param name="t" value="canonical"/>

I'm fairly sure you'll have to do this after each update too.

[Sorry if this doesn't thread right; I just joined the list]

-p