Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 10:40:53 -0500 (EST)
From: cfp2014@...on.cx
To: <full-disclosure@...ts.grok.org.uk>
Subject: Recon 2014 Call For Papers - June 27-29,
	2014 - Montreal, Quebec

CHRISTMAS ISLANDS PATENT APPLICATION                            20142329
RECON 2014                                           February 17th, 2014

                               BACKGROUND
[FIELD OF INVENTION]

 - REcon 2014 is a computer security conference for reverse engineers,
   hackers, and enthusiasts.

 - This patent lays claim to all security conferences and gatherings of
   hackers where 50% or more of the attendance consists of reverse
   engineers.

[DESCRIPTION OF RELATED ART]

 - Presently there are many awesome security conferences, but REcon is
   the only one we know of that is dedicated to reverse engineering.
   Reversing is our jam.

 - Numerous other security conferences exist that are worthy of props.
   Our conference refines the art with a strong focus on the topic of
   reverse engineering and features highly technical talks.

   +                    +                     +         +
                                  +                  +           +
           +                                             +
                                        \ /
                       +     _        - _+_ -                   ,__
         _=.    .:.         /=\       _|===|_                  ||::|
        |  |    _|.        |   |     | |   | |     __===_  -=- ||::|
        |==|   |  |  __    |.:.|   /\| |:. | |    |   | .|| : |||::|
        |  |-  |.:|_|. :__ |.: |--|==| |  .| |_   | ' |. ||.  |||:.|
      __|. | |_|. | |.|...||---|  |==| |   | | |_--.     ||   |||. |
     |  |  |   |. | | |::.||: .|  |==| | . : |=|===|    :|| . ||| .|
     |:.| .|   |  | | |:.:|| . |  |==| |     |=|===| .   |'   | |  |
     |     |      |   |   |'           :   .   |   ;     ;    '    |
     '     :      `   :   '            .       '  .      .         :
     '     .                                             .
     `                .                .                           '
                           .

                                                                [FIG. 1]

                                SUMMARY
REcon is a computer security conference with a focus on reverse
engineering and advanced exploitation techniques.  It is held annually
in Montreal, Canada.

The conference offers a single track of presentations over the span
of three days along with technical training sessions held before
the presentation dates.  Technical training varies in length between
two and four days.

REcon 2014 is almost here and we have another great line up of trainings
and shenanigans.  This year we feel the need to patent our unique brand
of awesome before someone else tries to take it away from us.

                         DETAILED DESCRIPTION
REcon is an event defined by our attendees, speakers, and trainers.

The attendees have always been, and will always be, those looking to
learn something new, share ideas, and unwind in a welcoming environment.

The trainers are the best in their fields.  This year we are bringing
together a great set of trainings.

 - Reversing telecom platforms for security: applied hacking on legacy
   monolithic MSC and HLR to modular ATCA's reversing by Philipe
   Langlois (2 days: 25-26 June)
 - Introduction to USB Emulation with the Facedancer by Travis
   Goodspeed and Sergey Bratus (2 days: 25-26 June)
 - The Exploit Laboratory: Red Team by Saumil Shah (2 days: 23-24 June)
 - The Exploit Laboratory: Master by Saumil Shah (2 days: 25-26 June)
 - Reverse Engineering Malware by Nicolas Brulez (4 days: 23-26 June)
 - iOS 7 Kernel Exploitation Training by Stefan Esser (4 days: 23-26
   June)
 - Keep It Synple Stupid - Utilizing Programmable Logic for Hardware
   Reverse-Engineering by Dmitry Nedospasov and Thorsten Schroeder
   (4 days: 23-26 June)
 - Windows Internals for Reverse Engineers by Alex Ionescu (4 days:
   23-26 June)

The speakers define the conference and we invite you to submit for this
year's REcon CFP. The conference features a single track of talks. Some
guidelines for talks are:
 - 30 to 60 minute presentations, or longer, we are flexible
 - We are open to proposals for workshops that would occur alongside
   talks
 - Trainings of 2, 3 or 4 days focused on reversing and/or exploitation
 - There will be time for five to ten minute informal lightning talks
   during the REcon party

The conference talks in the following fields are encouraged:
 - Hardware reverse engineering
 - Software reverse engineering
 - Protocol reverse engineering
 - Finding vulnerabilities and writing exploits
 - Novel data visualization for hackers and reverse engineers
 - Bypassing security and software protections
 - Attacks on cryptography in hardware and software
 - Techniques for any of the above on new or interesting architectures
 - Wireless hacking (We aren't talking about wifi here)
                       ++ Anything else elite ++

The more description you provide, the more you are able to claim as your
invention.

       |             +----------+                                |
       |             + Research |<-----------------+             |
       |             +----------+                  |             |
       |                  +                        |             |
       |                  |                        |             |
       |                  v                        |             |
       |           +---------------+               |             |
       |     +----+| Submit to CFP |               |             |
       |     |     +---------------+               |             |
       |     |                                     |             |
       |     |                                     |             |
       |     v                                     |             |
       |  +------+     +------------+      +--------+---------+  |
       |  | Meet |+--->| Share Ideas |---->| Create New Ideas |  |
       |  +------+     +----+-------+      +--------+---------+  |
       |     ^            |                        |             |
       |     |            |                        |             |
       |     |            |                        |             |
       |     +------------+<-----------------------+             |

                                   ???

                          +--------------------+
                          |  Change the world  |
                          +--------------------+
                                                                [FIG. 2]

[SUBMITTING]
Please send your submission to cfp2014 at recon.cx in plain text format.
You may send additional supporting documentation in other formats.

Please include:
 - Speaker name(s) and/or handle
 - Contact information, e-mail, and cell phone (optional)
 - Presentation title
 - Length of presentation
 - Description of the presentation
 - Brief biography
 - If available, presentation supporting materials (website, code,
   paper, slides, outline, ...)
 - And why it is cool, or why you want to present it
 - Let us know if you need help with a Canadian visa (So we can start
   the procedure early)
 - Whether your employer will pay for your travel or you need assistance
   from us

                               OUR CLAIMS
 - To be accessible in some capacity to everyone who wants to be a part
   of it
 - To try to have the best party of any security conference
 - To keep the event small and encourage people to meet and talk
 - Provide the best reverse engineering training by the top minds in the
   the field
 - To continue to mock stupid things including, and not limited to,
   patents
 - This patent is unique and original. This is due entirely to no one
   being douchie enough to try and patent their conference. Yet.

                               ADDENDUM
REcon is an annual computer security conference located in Montreal,
Canada. We are claiming this patent as a mockery of the patent system,
which we feel is absurd, and in part because we are out of witty CFP
ideas. Besides, patents reveal enough to take the fun of reversing away.

You can also email your response with PGP to hfortier recon cx: