Date: Fri, 04 Apr 2014 18:29:33 -0400
From: John Young <jya@...eline.com>
To: "Brunner, Mark" <Mark.Brunner@...okfield.com>, fulldisclosure@...lists.org
Subject: Re: [FD] Legality of Open Source Tools

Would you suggest it is time to license security professionals like
architects, engineers, doctors and others lawfully empowered to
police hazardous systems in the public interest?

A code of security industry standards, like building and health
codes, might then be needed to assure compliance by requiring
preparation and publicly filing security system documents for
review by officials and, if satisfactory, issuing a permit to install the
systems, then official inspection of them after installation, then
periodic inspections thereafter to assure the systems remain
safe and secure.

Professional liability insurance would be requried to protect
the client, along with mandatory continuing education to renew
licensure.

Disastrous security failures might then lead to prosecution for
malpractice, loss of license, jail, fines and banning to philosophizing
about security risks at well-paying conferences, and at the very best,
a lucrative position with official or corporate regulators to oversee
the security industry, occasional lectures at universities and spy
agencies at home and abroad, even lifetime achievement prizes,
hell, why not a Nobel.

Damn fine idea, this just might put security above used car
sales as a profession, at last topping politicians.

Btw, is "security architect" a legal use of the term architect?